Sven told me to put together a list of very important rules in the kitchen. I came up with 11, but I am sure there are a lot more.
2. Wash and dry your hands thoroughly with soap. Wash them as often as you need while you are cooking. And then one more time once you are done cooking.
3. Before you start cooking read the recipe or ingredient list from beginning to end to understand what needs to be prepared. Ask your parents if you have questions.
4. Place all of the ingredients you will need as well as pots, pans and bowls in front of you so you know if something is missing.
5. Wash and dry all vegetables and fruits before you start preparing them. If you are handling raw chicken or fish DO NOT wash before you cook them. If you wash raw chicken or fish in the sink bacteria could spread around the sink and effect other food. You can pat the chicken or fish with a dry paper towel to absorb liquid if necessary.
6. Make sure to wash and keep clean knives and cutting boards while you are prepping your food. Use a different knife and cutting-board for raw and cooked food.
7. Pre-heat the oven according to the recipe. Do not turn on the stove before you need it. Always have your parents help you when work on the stove or the oven. Always keep oven mitts nearby.
8. Always use the proper utensil. Never use a knife to stir something or a spoon to cut. There is a proper tool for everything. Please let your parents explain to you the different utensils and what they are for.
9. Never eat (or try) raw food. It is ok to eat raw vegetables if they are washed and prepared, but never try raw meats or eggs. They are the primary source of salmonella, which is bacteria that can make you very sick.
10. ALWAYS use oven mitts or gloves when you carry a pot with hot liquid from the stove to the sink. The hot liquid could burn you.
11. Have a spoon or a fork nearby to taste your food while you are cooking. This will help you learn and understand cooking time and the flavor of the food. Does it need more salt or sugar? You can always add more if you like. What if you added too much? No worries, nobody is perfect. You can always try again.
Sven always tells me that it is very important to follow these rules. I agree… Can you give me some more ideas?